Instant Pot Carnitas Tacos feature pork shoulder, garlic, onion, orange, bone broth, and salsa. Cut short cooking time & make this crispy and Juicy Mexican Pulled Pork. Perfect with tacos, burritos, or tamales. The savory browned crisp edges with juicy & tender pork meat is so irresistible to eat. Wrap the crispy & juicy pork with warm crisped tortilla, with a scoop of refreshing Salsa with a squeeze of lime. Instant Pot Carnitas Tacos are a mouthful sensation full of exciting & satisfying bites (Serves 6)
- 1 x Pork Shoulder Butt Small 3 LB by Marconda's (cut into 2 – 2 1/4 inches cubes)
- 1 x Garlic Sleeve
- 1 x Yellow Onion Large
- 1 x Orange Navel
- 1 x Sprouted Corn Tortillas (8-12)
- 1 x Estolia's Salsa Asado
- 1 x Probiotic Boost Bone Broth Unseasoned Chicken 16 OZ (2 cups)
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed, ground (not included)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon powder (not included)
- 2 bay leaves (not included)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce (not included)
- Kosher salt (not included)
- Ground black pepper (not included)
- 4 (13g) garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 (200g) medium onion, roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon (2g) cumin seed, ground
- 1 teaspoon (2g) cinnamon powder or 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon (15ml) light soy sauce (not low sodium soy sauce)
- 55ml juice from 1 fresh orange
- Kosher salt
- Ground black pepper
- Remove rind and bone from the pork shoulder meat. Cut pork shoulder meat into cubes (~2 – 2 1/4 inches cubes) *** Tip: Don’t throw away the excess fat!
- Marinate Pork Shoulder Cubes for 20 min (Place pork shoulder cubes & fat into the Instant Pot’s inner pot, Season very generously with kosher salt and ground black pepper, add 4 crushed garlic cloves, chopped onion, 1 tsp (2g) ground cumin, 1 tsp (2g) cinnamon powder, 2 bay leaves, 1 tbsp (15ml) light soy sauce, and juice (55ml) from 1 orange to the inner pot. Mix well and let the meat marinate for 20 minutes
- Pressure Cook Pork Shoulder Cubes - pour ~4/5 cup (200ml) unsalted chicken stock in the inner pot, close lid and pressure cook at: High Pressure for 30 minutes / 15 minutes Natural Release (Release the remaining pressure after 15 minutes and open the lid carefully)
- Crisp Pork Shoulder Cubes: Transfer the pork shoulder cubes onto a baking tray (Now is a good time to take a bite and see if the pork cubes are salty enough. If the pork cubes are not salty enough, add more kosher salt into the cooking liquid. Taste & adjust accordingly), Drizzle some of the cooking liquid on to each piece (The cooking liquid should be mostly fat. If not, mix ¼ cup (63ml) cooking liquid with 2 tbsp (30ml) of vegetable oil and drizzle over each piece of pork. The fat & oil will protect the meat from drying out and the surface will crisp faster), Place pork shoulder cubes under a broiler or the top rack of a preheated 450°F toaster oven until the surface is crisped (Roughly 8 – 10 minutes), Flip the pork shoulder cubes, drizzle each piece with more cooking liquid and place in the oven again until the surface is crisped.
- (Optional) Heat Corn Tortillas: If you are serving the Carnitas with corned tortillas, you can heat up the corn tortillas when the pork is browning in the oven.
- Serve Pressure Cooker Carnitas & Enjoy: You can shred the Pressure Cooker Carnitas with forks or leave them as chunks, Place piping hot Instant Pot Carnitas on top of the warmed corn tortillas with a spoonful of salsa (Pico De Gallo), Finish off with a squeeze of a lime (After crisping the carnitas in the oven, try to eat immediately or else the meat will dry out if you let it sit for too long). Enjoy!
*Disclaimer: These are all the ingredients used from M&E directly, we are assuming you have the essentials: broth, salt, pepper, olive oil, vinegar, etc.