There’s nothing quite like a warm bowl of broccoli cheese soup during the cold beginnings of the new year! Grab a blanket, a nice movie, and relax with a bowl of broccoli cheese soup.
- 6 Tbsp butter, diced in cubes
- 1 cup finely chopped yellow onion
- 1 large clove garlic, finely minced
- 1/4 cup + 3 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 3 1/4 cups milk (anything but skim), then more to thin if desired
- 1 (14.5 oz can) chicken broth
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 3 cups finely chopped, fresh broccoli florets*
- 8 oz. (2 cups) freshly shredded sharp cheddar cheese (medium works fine too), plus more for serving
- 1 oz. (1/3 cup) freshly, finely shredded Parmesan cheese
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste (I used about 1/2 tsp of each, but this will vary depending on the brand of cheeses and your salt/pepper preference).
- Melt butter in medium saucepan over medium high heat.
- Add in onions and cook, stirring frequently until soft, about 3 minutes.
- Add in garlic and flour, and cook for about 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- While whisking, slowly pour in milk, chicken broth and fresh broccoli. Cook, stirring constantly until mixture begins to gently boil and thicken, then reduce heat to a simmer and allow to cook, stirring very frequently, until broccoli is tender, about 5 - 7 minutes.
- Stir in cream.
- Remove from heat, stir in cheddar and parmesan cheese, mixing until melted.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve warm with more cheddar if desired.
*From about 2 heads of fresh broccoli, use floret portion only. I began with about 1 lb broccoli crowns, chopped off majority of the stems, then chopped the florets into very small pieces about 1/4 - 1/2 inch.