This delectable vegan snack is packed with flavor and spice. Have you had such a bouquet of flavors spanning from jalapenos and carrots to alfalfa and bell peppers with basil? This will truly awaken open your experiences to a vegan sandwich.
INGREDIENTS (Makes 4)
- 4 carrots, grated
- 1 English cucumber, but in half and shaved thin on a mandolin
- 1 medium shallot, peeled and sliced thin
- 2 bell peppers, roasted (see instructions below)
- 2 avocados, halved and sliced thin
- 1 cup sprouts
- ½ lemon, zested and juiced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- sea salt
- ¼ cup vegenaise
- pesto (see below)
- 8 slices of whole grain or gluten free bread
- 1 cup basil leaves
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 garlic clove
- ½ jalapeno, take seeds out if you want it less spicy
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- pinch of salt and cracked pepper
Combine all the ingredients in a food processor or blender and blend into a paste. Taste and adjust seasonings accordingly.
- In a medium bowl combine shaved cucumbers and shallot, olive oil, ½ teaspoon of lemon zest, juice of half a lemon, a pinch of salt and fresh cracked pepper. Allow to marinate for at least 15 minutes.
- While cucumbers are marinating, char the bell peppers by placing them over a gas stove and blistering the outside. This can also be done under the broiler of your oven. Once all the sides are blackened place in into a bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Let it sit 10 minutes. After 10 minutes peel blistered skin off. Half the roasted peppers and remove the seeds. You should have 4 whole roasted bell pepper pieces. Place in a bowl and grate 1 garlic clove and add 2 tablespoons of olive oil, pinch of salt and pepper and mix to combine.
- Toast your bread and spread vegenaise on one side and a generous portion of pesto on the other. Place a roasted pepper slice on top of the side with vegenaise, followed by grated carrots, sprinkle with a touch of salt and black pepper. (it’s important to season each layer lightly!)
- Next layer the marinated cucumbers and shallot. Followed by a half of an avocado, sprinkle with a touch more salt and pepper. Top off with sprouts and place top piece of bread on top. Serve with extra pesto.
- Wrap the sandwich in parchment paper and slice down the center.
- Open up wide because this sandwich is a mouthful!