Strawberry Coconut Cream Pie - Vegan & Gluten Free Recipe
Between the coconut whipped cream filling and the fresh strawberries on top, this pie is to die for. This pie is so light and refreshing, and very easy to make! Keep in mind that this recipe is also vegan, paleo, and gluten free!
- ¾ cup (about 11) dates, pitted and soaked in hot water for 5 minutes, then drained completely
- ¾ cup raw cashews, roughly chopped (raw almonds work too!)
- ¼ cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1 14-oz. can coconut cream, refrigerated overnight*
- 2 Tbsp. maple syrup
- splash pure vanilla extract
- 1 lb. strawberries sliced and diced (see photos)
- For topping: toasted coconut, fresh mint, grated dark chocolate
- Prepare the crust: Place drained dates, cashew pieces, and coconut in a food processor, and process until the mixture can easily be squeezed into a ball.
- Line an 8-inch round cake pan with plastic wrap (you'll want some overhang so you can remove the pie later). Dump date-cashew-coconut mixture into the center and flatten it with your fingers, pressing up the sides of the pan slightly. Place in the freezer to set.
- Prepare the filling: Remove coconut cream from the fridge. Scoop out the solid white part and place it in the bowl of a stand mixer (a hand mixer would work, too!). Add maple syrup and vanilla, and whip until combined, smooth, and fluffy, about 1-2 minutes. It should form stiff peaks.
- Assemble: Remove crust from the freezer. Pour the filling on top, smoothing out the top with a spatula. Set in the freezer for 10 minutes.
- Remove from freezer and top with strawberries, toasted coconut, mint, and chocolate. Place back in the freezer for 1 hour.
- Remove from freezer and carefully remove the pie from the pie pan and plastic wrap.** Place on a plate, cut, and serve. Store covered in the fridge.
**The crust isn't all that sturdy, so I found that it was easiest to pull the pie out of the pan using the plastic wrap, and then balance it on my hand, removing the plastic wrap in the process. You could even place it on a flat surface, and then carefully slide the plastic wrap out from underneath.