Salted Honey Stuffed Peanut Butter Cookies
HAPPY NATIONAL PEANUT BUTTTER COOKIE DAY! (June 12th)
This cookie’s ooey-gooey center and salty-sweet crust will have any true peanut butter cookie fan jumping for joy! A final sprinkle of flaky sea salt crystals really bring out the flavor of the peanut butter, but are completely optional if you’re baking for a child who’s a picky eater, or just don’t have any on hand.
Yield: 18 - 20 cookies
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, at a cool room temp (not melted)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup white sugar, plus extra for rolling
- 1/2 cup Spread the Love Naked Peanut Butter
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Sea salt flakes, for finishing
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine 3/4 cup peanut butter with honey and salt, stirring well until thickened slightly. For ease of scooping, put the mixture in the refrigerator for 5 - 10 minutes.
- Using a teaspoon-sized scoop or spoon, scoop chilled peanut butter mixture into 18-20 small balls. Place balls in the freezer while preparing the cookie dough.*
- Using a stand mixer or electric hand mixer, cream together butter, brown and white sugars until fluffy. Add 1/2 cup peanut butter and applesauce, and blend until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, combine all-purpose flour, baking soda, baking powder, and 1/2 tsp salt. Add flour mixture to butter mixture in two to three batches, mixing until well combined and a dough has formed.
- Using a medium cookie scoop or large spoon, scoop dough into 1.5 tbsp-sized balls. Flatten each ball into a palm-sized circle, and place a chilled peanut butter ball in its center. Gently fold the dough around the peanut butter ball, pinching the edges closed to ensure that the ball is completely covered with dough.
- Roll stuffed cookie dough ball in additional white sugar until well coated, and place on parchment-lined baking sheet. Press down very gently on the top of the ball to flatten slightly, taking care not to let the edges crack. If desired, gently press a fork in a criss-cross pattern on the top of each ball.
- Bake until the cookies are golden brown underneath, about 11-12 minutes. Serve warm with a sprinkle of sea salt flakes on top of each cookie.
* tip: for best results, do not freeze peanut butter balls for more than 10-15 minutes. If making balls ahead, store in the refrigerator and move to the freezer for just a few minutes before forming cookies.
Original Recipe by Spread the Love.