Mini Cinnamon Orange Scones - Breakfast or Dessert Recipe
Bite into one of these mini cinnamon orange scones for a little taste of sweetness! These are perfect for an on-the-go breakfast food or served as a sweet little dessert!
- 3 1/4 cups flour
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3/4 cups cold butter, cut into pieces
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 oranges, zest freshly grated
- melted butter for brushing
- 3 tablespoons coarse sugar
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. In a small bowl, combine 1/3 cup sugar with about 1/2 of the grated orange zest. Rub together with your fingers until combined and fragrant.
- In large bowl combine the flour, orange sugar, salt, cinnamon, baking soda and powder. Using your fingers, a fork or a pastry blender, cut in butter until it forms coarse crumbs. Stir in the buttermilk and vanilla, and add the remaining orange zest. Add the juice from 1/2 of one of the zested oranges. Stir with a spoon until a dough forms, using your hands to bring it together. Turn onto a lightly floured surface and knead gently.
- Divide the dough in half or in thirds and pat each into 5-inch round circles. Combine the coarse sugar, cinnamon and 1/4 teaspoon orange zest. Brush each scone with melted butter and top with the coarse sugar. Cut each round into 4 or 6 slices, or use a biscuit cutter to make rounds. Bake the scones for 12 to 14 minutes, until the tops are slightly golden. Drizzle with the glass and any extra sugar. Serve immediately.
- Whisk all ingredients together until smooth and a glaze forms. If it's too thick, add more orange juice 1 teaspoon at a time. If it's too thin, whisk in more sugar a few tablespoons at a time until desired consistency is reached.
Original Recipe from How Sweet Eats.