Loaded Sweet Potato Nachos
Craving nachos for dinner but want to keep it grain free? Simply sub out the corn chips and empty calories for some nutritious, fiber rich sweet potato.
Did you know Sweet Potatoes are full of vitamins and minerals that help keep our bodies nourished? They provide a great source of Vitamin B6, C, D, Potassium and Magnesium to name just a few and the fact that they taste so delicious is just a bonus.
This vegan mexican inspired dish is a fuss free and easy whip up for nights where you feel like something that feels indulgent but won't leave you feeling guilty right after you're done eating.
This recipe is for 2 people, I stacked up the sweet potato into 2 mini skillets and we ate our meal straight from this, however if you don't have skillets, then using a baking pan or casserole dish will also work.
Optional extras for those that want a heartier from protein rich meal are - Black Beans, Refried Beans, Spiced Jackfruit or Diced Tempeh.
- 2 tbsp melted coconut oil
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- 2 heirloom tomatoes
- 1 small red onion
- Juice from 1 lime
- 3/4 cup marinara sauce
- 1/4 cup cilantro + 2 tbsp for garnish
- 1 avocado
- 1/4 cup kite hill almond cream cheese
- 3 tbsp almond milk
- 1 tsp turmeric
- Preheat oven to 375F bake
- Peel and cut sweet potato into 1/2 cm slices
- Place in a large ziplock bag, pour in your paprika, cinnamon, salt and coconut oil.
- Seal off bag and shake until sweet potato is fully covered with the spices and oil
- Lay out on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper ensuring the sweet potato slices aren't touching each other.
- Bake for 30 minutes on one side, flip over each slice and bake for a further 10 minutes.
- While the sweet potato bakes prepare your salsa by finely dicing the tomatoes, red onion and cilantro
- Place in a bowl and stir in in the marinara sauce and lime juice, set aside.
- Using a hand mixer or whisk, mix the kite hill almond cream cheese with almond milk and turmeric until you have a thick sauce.
- Transfer to a squeezable sauce bottle and set aside
- Evenly lay out the cooked sweet potato slices starting on the perimeter of your skillet or serving dish and work inwards.
- Spoon your salsa on top and place in the oven for a further 10 minutes
- Remove from the oven, top with cubes of avocado, a drizzle of your sauce and additional garnish of cilantro.
- Serve and enjoy with a loved one.
Recipe by Saphira Tuffery (@peanut.head)