A staple of Halloween is the Jack-o-Lantern. This is seen all over: cut in, painted on, and sticker-ed on many pumpkins all over. Well, today we have a twist: It's on a bell pepper! For a spicy treat, give this a go on the pepper of your choosing!
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Total time: 1 hour 25 minutes
4 bell peppers (red, green, yellow, or orange)
extra-virgin olive oil
Freshly ground black pepper
1 onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 tsp. chili powder
1 lb. ground beef
1 c. cooked white rice
1 c. chicken stock, divided
1 (15 oz) can fire-roasted tomatoes
1 c. shredded Monterey Jack, divided
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2) Cut off (and reserve) the top of each pepper. Remove and discard the cores and seeds. Using a sharp paring knife, carve a Jack O'Lantern face into each pepper.
3) Drizzle the inside of each pepper with olive oil and season generously with salt and pepper. Place the peppers upright in a large baking dish along with the pepper tops.
4) Heat a tablespoon of olive oil in a large nonstick skillet. Sauté onions until soft, about 5 minutes.
5) Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
6) Add ground beef and sauté until browned and cooked through, breaking up the meat with a wooden spoon. Turn off the heat and drain the fat.
7) Return skillet to stove top over medium heat. Season with salt and pepper to taste and stir in the chili powder.
8) Add the fire-roasted tomatoes, 1/2 cup chicken stock, cooked rice and 3/4 cup of cheese. Stir until the mixture is evenly combined.
9) Divide rice and beef mixture between the hollowed out peppers. Top with cheese.
10) Pour remaining 1/2 cup chicken stock into pan. Cover with foil and bake for about 30 minutes.
11) Remove the foil and cook for another 10-15 minutes, until the peppers are tender and the cheese is melted.
12) Place the "Top" back on and it's ready to serve.
Enjoy your Jack-O-Pepper!