Fried Macaroni & Cheese Bites Recipe
Want a unique snack for your next party appetizer or small get together? You'll definitely want to try out this fried macaroni and cheese bites recipe! This recipe takes some time, but your friends and family will absolutely LOVE them and it will be worth the time.
- 1 lb macaroni
- 16 oz sharp cheddar cheese block (or 16oz shredded)
- 1¼ cup milk
- ½ cup flour
- ¼ cup butter
- 2 eggs
- 3 cups seasoned bread crumbs
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Vegetable oil (for frying)
- Boil macaroni until tender, drain and set aside. Shred cheese and set aside.
- In a large pan, melt butter over medium heat. Add flour and mix until light brown color (make a roux).
- Add 1 cup milk and whisk until thick.
- Add cheese one handful at a time. Mix until cheese is melted and smooth.
- Add cooked macaroni to pan and mix until well coated. Add salt and pepper.
- Transfer to a container and refrigerate for at least 1 hour, or until cold.
- Line a baking sheet with wax or parchment paper.
- Form cold macaroni and cheese into 1" balls and place on prepared pan. Place in freezer for at least 1 hour (overnight works well).
- Beat eggs and add ¼ cup milk in a bowl to make egg wash.
- Dip balls into egg wash then roll into bread crumbs, coating completely.
- Heat oil in deep fryer to 320 degrees, or fill skillet ½-3/4" deep and heat over medium high to 320 degrees.
- Fry 3-4 minutes, until golden, and drain. Serve immediately.
Original Recipe from Mommy Musings.