Food Trend 2017: Bone Broth
If you have been paying attention to the food industry, many products have been on the rise in popularity. Bone broth is slowly being incorporated into the diets of many health enthusiasts. Ranging from drinking it alone to making soup, it has a variety of potential healing benefits that you wouldn't want to miss out on!
First of all, broth, stock and bone broth are different.
Broth is made by simmering meat, vegetables and aromatics for 45 minutes-2 hours before being strained. It is a liquid mainly used as a soup base, staying liquid when cold.
Stock is made by simmering meat, vegetables, aromatics and at times, meat. Compared to broth, stock is cooked to 4-6 hours before being strained. The stock will have a gelatinous structure due to collagen extraction in the longer cooking time. Stock can be used as a base for gravy since it can help thicken up sauces.
Bone Broth is made from roasted bones and meat. This is typically cooked for 24-72 hours. Due to the increased cooking time, gelatin is extracted from the bones, increasing nutritional value as well as flavor.
Benefits of Bone Broth
1. Skin, Hair & Nail - Since bone broth is cooked for an extended amount of time, collagen is extracted. Drinking bone broth can make your nails, hair and skin look radiant.
2. Joint and Bone Health - Bone broth contains glucosamine which help with joint pain. It has shown that broth contains many other nutrients that keep your joints pain-free and healthy! Minerals such as phosphorus, calcium and magnesium are in the bone broth which help build healthy bones.
3. Immune Support - A majority of our immune system is in the gut. The gelatin and collagen content supports the gut and the amino acids reduce inflammation.
4. Digestive Health - Bone broth has the potential to heal and seal the gut. It has also shown to protect non-leaky guts. It may also help with digestive issues.
5. Nutrient Absorption - It contains bio-available nutrients in an easily digestible form. The gelatin and amino acids enhances absorption of nutrients from foods you consume.
Overall, bone broth is a great addition to any diet. You can drink it warmed up straight from a cup, use it as a base for soups or gravy, gravy base or cook yourself vegetables in it!