This creamy cauliflower soup recipe is filled with savory flavors, cheese and filled with chunks of cauliflower! Once you finish making your soup, you can serve with cornbread or cheddar biscuits to complete the dish.
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- ¼ cup diced yellow onion
- 1 celery stalk, finely diced
- 3 ½ cups chopped cauliflower crowns (about 1-2 inch pieces)
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 3 cups chicken stock (or vegetable stock)
- 1 bay leaf
- In large Dutch oven or soup pot, melt butter over medium heat.
- Add onions and celery and sauté, stirring often, until onions are translucent and beginning to brown on edges, about 6-8 minutes.
- Add cauliflower and parsley and stir to combine. Cover pot, reduce heat to low, and cook for 15 minutes.
- Uncover and add chicken stock and bay leaf. Increase heat to high and bring to a boil, then reduce heat to simmer, and cover.
- In meantime in medium saucepan over medium-high heat melt butter. Add flour and stir constantly to combine. Continue to stir until mixture turns light brown, about 1-2 minutes.
- Slowly pour in milk while whisking constantly; continue to whisk until large flour chunks are broken up.
- Bring mixture to simmer and continue to cook, stirring constantly, until thickened, about 2-3 minutes.
- Pour white sauce into cauliflower soup mixture, and increase heat to medium. Bring to a simmer, and continue to simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add salt and freshly cracked pepper to taste.
- Turn off heat, remove bay leaf, add cheese, and stir until melted.
- Ladle soup into bowls.
- Season with salt and pepper, and top with chives and additional shredded cheese.
- Serve immediately.