Cracked Egg Cupcakes - April Fool's Dessert Recipe
Milk and... cracked eggs? APRIL FOOLS! These "cracked egg" cupcakes are a cute and fun way to prank your friends, family, or coworkers on April Fools Day. This dessert recipe takes a little time, but it's soo worth it to see the reactions on their faces!
- Melt the white chocolate until smooth, about 1 minute total. Line a cookie sheet with wax paper or silicone baking sheet and place in the refrigerator.
- Lightly oil a paper towel with the vegetable oil and rub the inside of each plastic egg. Using a small clean brush, generously coat the inside of an oiled plastic egg half with the melted candy.
- Transfer the egg, open side down, to the cookie sheet in the refrigerator. Repeat with the remaining melted candy and plastic eggs. After a few minutes, check and touch up any eggs where the candy is too thin or there is a hole. Repeat process several times. The thicker the coating the less likely they will break.
- Return to the refrigerator until set, about 5 minutes. Carefully remove the hardened candy from the plastic eggs (attempt to not break it as much as possible, you'll want a few whole eggs as well as pieces).
- Tint the lemon curd egg yolk yellow with turmeric. Spoon the tinted lemon curd into a small ziploc bag, press out the excess air, and seal.
- Spread the tops of the cupcakes with the vanilla frosting and smooth.
- Snip a small (1/8-inch) corner from the bag with the lemon curd. For the egg yolks, pipe a small mound of lemon curd on top of each of the frosted cupcakes.
- For the whole eggs, place the candy eggshells, open side down, on top of the lemon curd to cover.
- For the broken eggs, arrange broken pieces of shells around the yolk.
- Place cupcakes in the clean egg carton if using.