2 for $12: Spicy Fried Chicken
We are so excited to be continuing our 2 for $12 meals with this new recipe for Spicy Fried Chicken. Feel free to adjust the spice to whatever you'd like to keep it not spicy at all, mild, medium or super spicy! Read below how you can make this recipe for under $12 for 2 people.
If you haven't already seen our other 2 for $12 meal, click here and stay tuned for more #ME2for12! Full recipe below:
- Rocky's Free Range Chicken Wings $5.99
- Rocky's Free Range Chicken Drumsticks $4.45
- Carrots $.85
- Celery, use less than half $.60
In pantry you should already have:
- Spices of your choosing: we used chile powder, ancho chile powder, chile flakes, cayenne, smoked paprika. You can really make a spice blend of whatever spices are in your pantry.
- Cast Iron
- 3-4 Eggs
- Peanut Oil or Vegetable Oil
*Disclaimer: These are all the ingredients used, we are assuming you have the essentials: flour, salt, pepper, spices, etc.
Total Price: $11.89 for 2!
- Make your dry rub: add a bunch of spices in a bowl and mix, don't forget salt and pepper!
- Start by patting your chicken dry and set aside. Once fully dry, add on the dry rub mixture and let sit. You can either do this overnight or wait 20-30 minutes.
- Start by getting your flour and egg mixture ready. For both these mixtures, add the spice rub in (just a little bit) and for the egg mixture, add in a touch of water. When mixing the eggs, make sure it is fully mixed together so the whites are mixed fully in the yellows.
- Get your pan hot, and I mean HOT! We used peanut oil but you can add whichever you like. We used a deep cast iron and filled the oil up a little bit below halfway and waited around 15-20 minutes to make sure that baby gets hot hot!
- Once you do this, dip your dry rubbed chicken and dredge in the egg mixture. Use your fingers and shake the chicken to make sure that all droplets are off from the egg. This helps for even frying and non-clumpy breading.
- Then put the chicken in the flour mixture and make sure it is evenly distributed throughout all parts.
- Start the frying process. Put on one side of the chicken in the oil and let it sit and fry, do not move it! Cook around 9-12 minutes on each side, until you notice its frying and brown.
- When finished, put on drying rack and serve with celery and carrots.