We whipped up a 2 for $12 meal of Tofu Bahn Mi Sandwiches. Read below for the full recipe and ingredients list and make sure to be on the lookout for our new #ME2for12!
All these ingredients add up to about $12 for two, for a delicious lunch or dinner that is easy to make and won't break the bank. Make ahead and wrap in the fridge or eat right away. Let us know in the comments below if you try out the recipe. :)
For the Pickled Veggies:
- 1 Cucumber $.69
- 2 Carrots $1.00
- 1/2 Daikon $.80
- 3-4 Jalapeno $1.09
- 1/3 Cup Vinegar
- 1/3 cup Rice Wine Vinegar
- 1/3 cup Boiled Water
- Pinch of salt/sugar 1-2 spoons
- Small handful of peppercorns
- Mix up jar and let pickle for 1-2 hours or 1-2 days! :)
- Minced Ginger, use less than half $.30
- 3 tsp Soy Sauce
- 2 Tsp Ponzu
- 1 Tsp Water
- Pepper, Salt, Paprika
- 1 tsp Vinegar
- 1 tsp Chili Flakes
- 1 Package of Tofu $2.00
Banh Mi Sauce:
- Lemon Juice, about 1/2 lemon $.75
- 2 Tsp Mayo
- 3 Tsp Sriracha
- Salt, Pepper, Chili Flakes
Bread Lounge Baguette $2.49 x 2
Cilantro 1/2 of bundle $.32
Total Price: $11.93 for 4 medium sized sandwiches (2 each)
*Disclaimer: These are all the ingredients used, we are assuming you have the essentials: mayo, salt, pepper, hot sauce, etc.
- Pickle your veggies first so it allows time to sit and pickle. They will be pickled in about 1-2 hours, however, it's ideal to leave them in overnight to get REALLY pickled. :) Start by cutting cucumber, carrots, daikon in julienne (thin strips). Dice the jalapeno and mix in a mason jar with the vinegar mixture.
- After your pickle your veggies, start to marinade your tofu. Make sure you use paper towels to soak out all the moisture in the tofu before putting on marinade. This helps absorb all the flavors. Marinade for 30-1hr. TIP: Make extra marinaded tofu for next day, it's a really fast and easy lunch! After you marinade, start to grill your tofu, until it's the crunchy and cooked consistency you like.
- Start to make the sauce that will go on the sandwich and cut your baguette, I used Bread Lounge. Now assemble: lay on sauce, then the tofu, then pickled veggies as well as some cilantro and fresh, non-pickled jalapeno and cucumbers. Sprinkle a little bit of lemon juice on top and eat!